Friday 30 March 2018

From PeteF: Rookie Season - Last Post

That's all? 


This is it for Challenge VIII and what fun it has been. I started out on a mission to make a dent in the Shelf of Shame. I’m super happy to have added a couple of battalions of french minifigs to a growing Napoleonic army. Project 3 (AWI) has also seen a great deal of progress.



It’s been a real privilege to share the virtual stage with some truly talented painters. There is so much to learn about the hobby and the many ways to bring models to life. Challenge VIII was inspiring, motivating and fulfilling. Thanks especially for sharing tips, techniques and colour choices. 



Next year I probably won’t get into a Black Powder duel with KentG – what was I thinking?

I bounced around a lot – from Dark Ages through ECW and WW2 to the far Antarean Future. The first foray into tartan was fun. I enjoyed the Bonus Rounds for causing me to reach into more obscure parts of the shelf of shame and look at some 3D printed models. Dad’s Army turned out well.

Don't tell him your name Pike

Over the course of the Challenge I unfortunately managed to add some projects: Project 11: Zulu War, Project 12: Napoleonic Minifigs basing and Project 13: 25mm Napoleonic Prussians. Additionally, a certain number of Dark Ages figures have shown up because how can you have too many Vikings and Saxons? All this means the total unpainted mountain is in roughly the same place - or maybe a little worse – I might need to join some kind of a group – any takers?

Winter is Coming
If you are in the Pacific Northwest over Memorial Day weekend I recommend Enfilade! the largest historical miniatures convention west of the Mississippi – it’s fun and friendly and there’s a great bring and buy to tempt you into more eras and/or scales.

It felt like more than this when I was painting them

It has now been 4 days since my last miniatures purchase (Gripping Beast plastic Viking 4pt warband).


11 comments:

  1. Great work Pete! You did a fine job with your first Challenge and I really enjoyed seeing your work, especially the old school Minifig Napoleonics. I hope to see you out for the next romp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work on that shield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in the top half of the table, lad, and you more than doubled your target - I don't think you have any cause for self-recrimination! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, and I wish to steal ‘shelf of shame’ for my own blog.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really liked those minifig French!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, you have done very well in this Challenge and I do think you will do even better next time. The Challenge is one of those things that grows on you unnoticeably and when you look back after your 3rd one you are amazed by your own output, you just wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work during the challenge mate you did well, I to have purchased just a few minis or should I say a few hundred or maybe a thousand hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent collection Pete. Well done on reducing the unpainted. The war continues. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Pete - any assault on the unpainted lead pile is a noble task! Well done.

    ReplyDelete