Wednesday 7 March 2018

From Barks: New Necromunda terrain (60 points)

So, I got sucked in by the new Necromunda. The 2017 re-release contains nine 12"x12" double-sided boards with some very evocative artwork. They have walls marked on them, but lack a certain je ne sais quoi. After adding some walls, however:
Can you see the Monstrous theme round tentacle?

At CanCon this year, I picked up the MDF "Sci-fi Undercity Set" from Battlefield Accessories, which just happens to contain enough walls and columns to perfectly fit these card tiles. It contains 26 columns, 25 short walls and 12 medium walls. They're 3" tall. Each wall is made of six pieces of MDF with some light detailing on the ends and top, and two pieces of card panelling which really help them 'pop'. The columns are six pieces of MDF, with a card topper to add some detailing. The walls simply slot against the columns. I assembled them with PVA and the assistance of The Skirt Swisher, then sprayed them black and gave them a light metallic overspray. The magic ingredient is Woodland Scenics Burnt Umber wash, followed by some heavy orange stippling.
MDF sheets- oh, the smell!

Card panels

Cultists with columns, medium and short walls.

I'm really happy with the outcome. The board is much more interesting, and I think it gives a different challenge to the traditional Necromunda of perilous gantryways. The boards can also be offset by 6" for more variety whilst maintaining continuity.

Necromunda also comes with a dozen hasty barricades, which I painted the same way.
Some of the barricades

Finally, there is an initiative marker which has a Skull-o-meter reading of 1.
Initiative marker

As I said, I'm very happy with these. GW has released variant boards with hazardous features, and if I get more walls I can make a 4x4 board. I plan to detail some of the walls with vents, and convert some to rubble. I'm also looking at getting some MDF doors, which I'd love to paint with iconic hazard stripes.

I've conveniently calculated the terrain points for Ray: here they are measuring 12x12x5 of your imperial inches, which, when compared to the Standard Terrain Cube gives 66 points. This may get me perilously close to my target!
Ray calculates terrain points

4 x(STC) x5 /6
From Ray

Now that is a rather tasty bit of kit Sir!! I don't know a lot about Necromuda ( wasn't they Vin Deisel's pals in the Chronicles of Riddick?) or their terrain, but it does look rather spiffing if you ask me! Love the way you've painted the rust, it looks so effective!!
Top marks all around........and as for the points........I'm not quite sure how you came to 66 points? I made it around 56, so I'll top it up to 60 points for all the effect and excellent looking rust!


18 comments:

  1. Top work in bringing a bit of depth to an otherwise rather flat gaming experience, Barks! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that’s what I always do!

      Delete
  2. Nice terrain Barks :)

    Ray - the points should be 5/6 of (4x20 = 80) which gives 66 if you round down or 67 if you round up. Not sure how you got 56 points ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff. Looks brilliant. Who wouldn't want to play on that!. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brendan! I’ve been quite inspired by the rusty aesthetic following this project.

      Delete
  4. Aw man, don't show me this, now I need to fight yet another temptation... Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now it is this type of project that really impresses me. You have really changed up the game in an amazing way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It is merely lots of rectangular boxes painted rusty, but I do think it makes the game much more visually interesting.

      Delete
  6. Great work on the terrain Barks - I can see lots of uses for that! Plus you made Ray think! What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the final result quite inspiring! I tried to prevent Ray getting brain strain, but I don’t think I was entirely successful.

      Delete
  7. Really nice rusty terrain! Nice and modular as well.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rust is simple and fun. It is a versatile set, and I’ll be getting more.

      Delete