Tuesday 13 February 2018

From SamuliS: Blood Bowl support (20 points)


Slow week recuperating from the previous weekends gaming tournament so not much that happened on the painting table. I figured a couple of more random sculpts would be a nice change of pace and I could spend a bit more time per mini as there's not a whole unit to paint up.


These are some Blood Bowl persona from Willy Miniatures. The Sportscasters Jim and Bob and a Bloodweiser babe to make sure nobody goes thirsty during the match. For anyone whose played Blood Bowl Jim & Bob will be familiar as the commentators that lined up the rulebooks as well as the guys who commentate every game on the PC versions.




The sculpts are quite nice with especially Bob, the Ogre commentator, being a really nicely detailed fella with crisp casting. The others are a bit lacking on the facial area and aren't that characterful. I tried to put a bit more effort into painting them with multiple layers using the newish Warcolours paints and trying to fade all the layers into each other. I also decided to try and paint a strong stubble on Bob to emphasize his rugged Ogre look. I really like how the Warcolours paints work for highlighting and blending, but still they require so many layers to get consistent coverage that I can hardly see myself using them for anything else than single minis or really small groups. Maybe with a basecoat of a better covering paint brand and highlights with Warcolours it would be feasible.




All in all I'm really happy how they turned out, especially the Ogre. The Vampire and Bloodweiser babe are maybe a bit lacking on the skin areas. A better recipe for a greyish vampire skin would really be needed, as well as some idea on how to paint female skin. I'm never really 100% happy with how the females I've painted turn out. Maybe a bit too dark once again. Still I don't think I'm going to paint another female mini during the challenge so I think this shall be my entry to Sarah's Choice.



Two 28mm minis and one ogre who stands a bit over 50mm tall so 20 points in all for this week. I really need to pick up pace to be able to achieve my 1000 point goal. A few Napoleonic units coming up as they're quite fast to do so I'm hoping that they'll help!

-----------------------------------------

Those are great Samuli !!

These are terrific and lovely figures and - in my totally unbiased Monday Minion role (albeit posting this on Tuesday...) - I think you really got the painting combinations perfect on the skin tone for your Vampire and Bloodweiser babe.  And, anyway, Vampire skin is notoriously tricky - they don't use moisturiser, you know...

I love the stubble and the brilliant leather coat for Bob, with another great leather coat on your Vampire.  Leather is such a tricky colour to get right, but you've really succeeded and it looks fantastic.  Great basing as well, on all three of these game-critical attendees!

A very worthy total of 20 points, then, to augment your remarkable and unforgettable Point-Blasting (literally....'point', singular) from last week ;)  

I think we're all celebrating now that the Order of the Single Point has been awarded and you're back on track!







14 comments:

  1. Great one Samuli, I like the leather effects on the trench coats you've done. The beer-maiden is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Samuli- OOT commentators, scantily clad females and beer promotions. You're hitting all of the NFL necessities. Now you just need two fat slobs going bare chested in -20 weather! I quite like the Bloodweiser girl - I wouldn't say she's lacking in skin at all - there seems to be a lot on display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job on these Iconic figures. I have the Willy's Morg N' Thorg waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely brushwork Samuli! That Ogre is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Samuli! Really like the comic like skin on the vampire and I actually don‘t think there’s anything wrong with the skin of the Bloodweiser girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work on these bloodbowl trio, the leather trench coats are fab and I really don't think you have a problem with female skin!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skin looks fine and I to love the leather trench coat a really nice entry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent stuff! Nice painting. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Characterful miniatures given an excellent paint job! Well done, Samuli!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see more Blood Bowl! Lovely work on this trio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the kind words everyone!

    ReplyDelete