Tuesday 13 February 2018

From NoelW : Covenanters (200 points)

I've been working on several projects this week, largely continuations of work already posted. But I've not managed to finish most of them. In fact my submission this week is not quite finished, either. You'll notice two spaces in the sabot bases - these are for the ensigns, whose standards are yet to be done, so they'll have to wait till next week.

Luckily, though, I've managed to complete 40 Scots for the ECW project. They'll sit on one wing of Parliament's army at Marston Moor. This'll take me above 2000 points, which amazes me, seeing as I thought I might have problems reaching the original target of 500 points. 





The difficult part of these troops is the plaids. Fortunately, there was no systematisation of tartan in the C17th, so you can make up your own plaids, but they still have to look credible. Then there's the additional problem of trying to paint convincing straight lines over curved and folded surfaces. I think that about 50% of those I attempted look reasonable and the other half rather less so. But, as always, in the heat of battle, such sins can be forgiven. Or at least ignored.



The figures are all Perry minis. I may mix some Warlord in, though I'm not that keen on the Warlord bonnets, which look a bit shapeless to me. But shapeless is presumably a likely shape for hats on a battlefield, so perhaps they'll look okay when mixed in. 

That's 40 28mm figures, so 200 points.

Hoi there Noel, you have finished a very nice looking unit indeed! Those Covenanters really are splendid even in their grey suits. The plaids are very good and I like the way you've put them on the bases, this makes them look great put together.
Gosh, past the 2000 points mark! How do you guys do it? Well on to the next 2000!
 

7 comments:

  1. Nice work Noel and congrats on reaching 2k so fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Noel, this is a terrific unit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, well done on reaching your target! I wish I'd known about the Perry covenanters when I did mine, they're all warlord, your's are much nicer!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking unit - I like those Perry figures and you've done a great job on them. Congrats on hitting the target!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! They definitely look the part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great. Congrats on 2k Noel!

    ReplyDelete