Friday 24 February 2017

From SanderS - 80's Pulp Revealed Part II (85 points)

Hoi,

After the revealing of the fact that my 80's Pulp Project is basically about a very popular 80's Action Figure line and cartoon series I cannot omit at least one entry concerning "The Enemy". As I have said somewhere else on this blog, I believe as a response to a post by Greg B., the ARBCO company is a cover up for operations by that insidious terrorist organisation out to conquer the world:


Sorry I couldn't resist that :-P So yeah here are some snakes in the grass. The miniatures are mostly from the range of figures done by a sculptor for his private collection and not commercially available. Two of the vehicles are 3d prints from Thingiverse, made by the talented Jabberwock. The truck is a Rubicon models American truck which is great for this purpose as they have been in use for quite a long time after the end of WW2. I have included links to the excellent 3djoes website for all the named stuff so you can check it out if you'd like.


Commanding the troops are the Crimson Twins, Tomax and Xamot (yeah I know!).


Here are some regular Blueshirt infantry, accompanied by a Stinger driver in grey using a RPG. These sculpts are far more realistic than the figures in the cartoon series as they all sport pistols and combat knives next to the regular weapon, which in this case is ether an AK47 or M16 rather than the silly lasers used in the cartoons.


As you have noticed I am making troopers on "urban" bases as well as on more regular outdoor bases. Slightly different angle:


Here's the ASP AA or FLAK gun, a 4 part 3d print in regular plastic. I have not included decals yet because I don't know if I want to, so for now it's done.



Rubicon models do an excellent quick build plastic set of an American truck which I think will be very good for scenarios. I kept the driver and cab separate so I can leave it parked as well as use it being driven.




Next up one of my absolute favourite a Cobra Firebat fighter. It used to come with the awesome Terror Dome playset (in a maroon version like mine here) but was later released in a bright red mail-away version too. This vehicle is a 3d print done in resin which is brilliant!





I also made a flight stand for the Firebat using a lasered acrylic base and an old radio antennae.


To finish off a shot of one of the actual action figures (the stinger Driver)  with it's 28mm counterpart, and yes I should have done the 28mm version up in a lighter grey, I might just


Perhaps you have concluded that I am very enthusiastic about this project and you would be totally right! Not only are these figures perfect, but creating the terrain, vehicles and scenics is absolutely brilliant! Let's end this post with points... well 8 figures amounts to 40 points, there's two vehicles of 15 points each making a total of 70 and then there's the ASP. As a matter of fact it's an artillery piece, but it looks more like a vehicle, so I will let Sylvain decide for me how to score it :-)

Cheers Sander




What can I say? I watched a few episodes of G.I.Joe when I was (ahem) younger. For people of my age, G.I.Joe is also the "Barbie" size boy doll that you could dress in battle gear and use to attack your sister's own dolls. But I digress. You sure threw me back to memory lane with this highly original project. And I will never stop being amazed at what a 3D printer can do for the hobby nowadays. For all your brush strokes, I award you 85 points. Given its size and look, your hack-hack should count as a vehicle. Bravo! (Sylvain)






24 comments:

  1. much obliged monseigneur much obliged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So my ARBCO shares are a sham!?!? What are you saying???

    Well done Sander, some definite nostalgia flashbacks here. Great job.

    Now where is that ARBCO prospectus...I thought maybe it did mention "world domination"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I am going to state the obvious Greg: you did get that ARBCO is an anagram for COBRA right? So yeah your shares are pretty much useless all the investment spent on weapons produced by Destro's MARS industries...

      Delete
    2. Oh I get it - just having a lot of fun with it. ARBCO would be an awesome shell company name, in addition to the anagram :)

      Nice painting - this has been a fun project to watch.

      Delete
  3. Awesome work Sander! The firebat is really nice, you did great work on that glass. I will definitely need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do it's a brilliant little model!

      Delete
  4. Nice work Sander, you're enthusiasm for this project is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stuff Sander. As Pete says, your enthusiasm for this project is great to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Curt, I think it really helps that I have set myself tow target Projects to finish for this Challenge and the nicest of those two is by far this 80's Pulp one.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. True, and I will get some more in the future, but there are some other models I would like to get first like a Skystriker and a Dreadnok Thundermachine...

      Delete
  7. Great stuff Sander. Really fun stuff. The comic books had added a lot of great background when I was reading them... years... and years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am sticking with the fluff that Cobra takes over Springfield and environments and tries to conquer the States from there. We'll see where it ends.

      Delete
  8. Great work Sander! You have clearly enjoyed yourself here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and I do Michael, more is on the way!

      Delete
  9. Fab work on something that entirely passed me by but what you're doing looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fine work, Sander! I had( ok I have) scores of these fellows. My wife has ordered me to share with my son. I really like those cobra troopers! I look forward to seeing who is on your Joe strike team. I hope Crazy Legs, Beachhead, and Grunt,but I'm sure whoever you have will bring back lots of good memories.... I prefer the comic to the cartoon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a Beachhead, but he's painted from before this Challenge... I will include a link to some of the figures I have painted already here: http://modusregmagnimomenti.blogspot.nl/search/label/ADHSMF

      Delete
  11. Very nice work - I hope to see Wingman, Tight Ship, Buzzkill, Three Kids, and Fourth Wall join the ranks soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're pulling my leg right? ;-)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qdgbKUEgU

      Delete