Saturday 11 February 2017

From Paul O'G: Sherman VC Firefly and "Feeling Poorly" marker (23 Points)

Two small offerings from me this week - as always I get caught up in all the lovely details of the entries. Most satisfying from a Hobby perspective but not so much for points efficiency :-) Then again, as Millsy reported its been ridiculously hot here in Sydney.  I haven't experienced temperatures like it since my last Middle East adventure.

Back in AHPC IV I did a Churchill tank to support the Paras I focused on during that challenge
http://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/from-paulj-28mm-wwii-churchill-tank-20.html

While that beast is indeed well armoured -  yet to be destroyed on the table in fact - it doesn't provide a good anti tank capability (though it has taken out JamesL's Pz IV on one lucky occasion, hasn't it mate? :-)  To give my Red Devils a stronger punch I considered adding an Achilles, but in the end went with a classic Sherman VC Firefly:


I lament Warlord's move away from wonderfully chunky and appropriately weighty resin models.  However, I will admit that their replacement plastic kit is wonderfully detailed.  I really enjoy weathering vehicles, so I tried something new with the AK Dried Mud effects - easy to use and I like the outcome, but I think I prefer a wetter mud look rather than the sandy finish.  This was also my first use of decals for some time, given Alan's zealous shaming bullying training program.  I think the icons and tactical markings add a lot to 28mm armour.


So no more sneering at PIATs and 6 pounders James, your Panzers now have something to fear!

...and so do mine! Odin "helps" me snap some pics, prior to a taste testing...
Also this week, "Feeling a bit poorly" is a generic marker to show when a unit is battered in Dragon Rampant .  I enjoyed making this small diorama and all the little details like the bloody hand smear on the rock and blood spatter on the flowers tell rather macabre story. 




Hopefully I get to lend this to my opponents more than I need it myself :-)  I'm sure I have some more of these casualty figs somewhere to make more but cant find them at the moment.

_________________________________

That is a terrific looking Firefly, Paul. I agree with you on the reassuring heft of resin vs plastic, but progress is progress they say (and I frequently doubt). 

I've not tried any AK stuff, but the effect you've achieved here looks very good indeed. I think it would be especially good for the Italian theatre, where it seemed to be much more dusty than Northern Europe. I'll also risk Alan's derision by saying the decals looks excellent and, I agree, they really help to properly finish WWII armoured models.

I also really like your 'Feeling a Bit Poorly' marker. Now, what is the story with the handprint on the rock? There must be a tale to be told here.

So, 15 points for the Firefly, 3 points for the poor bloke face down in the dirt, and 5 points for Odin as he steals the entire show in my estimation. :)

Well done Paul!

20 comments:

  1. Great weathering on the Firefly, and I love the details on the poorly bloke. Good to see that Odin approves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for the record, decals on vehicles are acceptable, except for slogans which should always be hand panted. It's in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riiight, I heard that book has lots of good hobby advice, especially if you're doing things like, you know, Biblicals. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay, as it is written in the Book of Alan...

      Delete
    3. Hand panted?

      I'm glad you clarified this, I was fearing your wrath for some upcoming vehicles I used decals on.

      Also, very nice work, Paul, and that doggo is too cute.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the Firefly and the casualty marker Paul - did the tank pass the Odin taste test? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how long it was going to be before you mentioned that lucky shot on my Panzer IV as soon as I saw this tank :-) Nice to know I have an influence on your hobby choices mate ;-)
    And a bloody nice Sherman that is too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice work on both of these. And the pup is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Firefly is ace, it presents really well and the TC is nicely done. I am so impressed with the Battered Marker, far more realistic and effective than the bis of pipe cleaners my lot uses.
    Now that I know cute animals get extra points, I will ensure that my next entries include kittens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Paul! I would say "feelings a bit poorly" looks to be an understatement based on the state of the poor fellow...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Paul. The machinations over decals and weathering are why I don't do armour, but appreciate those who do it well (like you). The feeling poorly marker is ace, but I think Curt has started a dangerous precedent with cute doggy points. Someone said you should never appear in a show with kids or animals because they steal the attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granted, it was a moment of weakness but I regret nothing. :)

      Delete
  9. Nice firefly and poorly bloke, I stand ready to mobilse both the dog and the cat for my next entry if that is what takes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weathering does look a bit beachy...perhaps D-Day. Very nice tank though. The ..tis but a flesh wound..marker is awesome!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's some excellent looking armour Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sharp work on the firefly, Paul! Odin has good taste in tanks! ;)
    The a bit poorly marker is nicely done too, apparently he needed anything but a one!

    ReplyDelete