Tuesday 28 February 2017

From GregB: More 28mm Crusaders (110 points)


More 28mm Crusade-era figures from Perry Miniatures

Last week my submission kicked off a small, four-point warband of Crusaders for the game "SAGA".  This represents a new period and set of rules for me, something I'm looking forward to playing with the group here in Winnipeg.  I'm excited to report that the painting momentum with this project has continued over the past week, and I have the balance of the warband to share with you today. I have completed the mounted knights and another group of infantry and so have nearly all of the elements required for a basic SAGA warband - my first one!

Humble crossbowmen

I tried to use a drab palette of colours on these basic but important soldiers - it was a long walk to the Holy Land, after all...
While I had some fun painting the shields on the bunch submitted last week, my shipment of transfers from LBMS finally arrived.  After experimenting with a couple of them, I see why people love them and I'm unlikely to ever go back...I'm not saying I won't paint a shield again, but wow, these transfers are super useful and very helpful, particularly the designs which my freehand skills cannot match.  I know I have disappointed some of the purists (including the Tuesday minions) but there you have it...

The stars of the show - the Knights!

While the crossbowmen are not wearing armour, and might perhaps make for better levies than warriors, I wanted some figures without chainmail in my initial warband, so for now will count them as particularly fierce or devout folks.  I have barely tried SAGA, but I expect once I get some experience with the game I will further expand this bunch to be levies, while adding some other warrior-types later.

These Perry sculpts are just magnificent.
LBMS shield transfers...once you try them, there is no going back (for me)

The miniatures are all Perry twins, and are a real treat to paint - just tremendous sculpts and I really enjoy them.  As before, the square basing continues - not ideal for a skirmish game, perhaps, but I already have visions (delusions?) of a larger "Hail Caesar" force taking shape, and in that world I would want to pull every available figure in, so these fellows might end up taking part in movement trays.  One day!

As an added bonus, the flags from Maverick Models arrived yesterday, so I put those on and snapped a few more photos.  With ancient and medieval forces, I always feel like you can never have enough flags, pennons etc.  They just seem to "make" the setting for me. Flags are just another way to show the opposing force that you are awesome and they suck, right?

A larger standard can count as a sort of main flag bearer for the SAGA warband...this one is a little small at this point to have something like that, but as I expand the warband I'll count the fellow with the large flag as a banner-bearer

I used the cloth flags from Maverick, and I let them get a bit frayed when I cut them.  I need to manage my clipping of these things a little better, but on the whole I don't mind a slightly frayed look to these particular flags and pennants.  After all, these things traveled from Europe to the Levant as part of the First Crusade - this is how I like to imagine this warband.  The flags etc. are going to look a little worn - but they still show the faith of the devout. God wills it!

Forward for God and glory!
The finished SAGA warband, guarding the Holy Land in my kitchen, awaiting a Warlord to lead it...

Of course it is always fun to include the total progress photo. In total there are two groups of "hearthguard" - four mounted knights each - and two groups of "warriors" - the eight armoured spearmen and the eight crossbowmen. In total, a four point warband - the bare basics for SAGA.  All this bunch needs now is a warlord to lead them.  Stay tuned for more on that.

With eight foot figures and seven mounted figures, all in 28mm, this should get me 110 points.  My 1000 point goal is in sight! Exciting times...

Alan and Paul: Great looking warband, Greg. We are huge fans of SAGA, and I think you will really enjoy the game the more you get into it. Don't forget that these are perfect as a Norman warband as well. The flags look great with the slightly frayed appearance. I will not mention the use of shield decals. Not. At. All. 

12 comments:

  1. Very nicely done Greg. Lovely looking warband.

    We have been playing a lot of SAGA over the last year and are really enjoying it. I suspect this will not be your last warband.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. a stunning force if ever I saw one! The colours are very bright and well chosen. Great stuff Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant looking Saga band, Greg! lots of color and character packed on to them. The transfers seem to have sped you up a bit too, but I prefer the hand painted shields! ;)
    I'm starting to think a "small band" of crusaders like Liam's force in Kingdom of God would be a fun entry into Saga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice warband, tempting me to try the game I've bought but never played, these are all lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work, I like your colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely terrific work dude! I'm a big fan of LBM transfers as well and they do a great job on putting the icing on a wonderful force. Looking forward to setting these guys up close in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing stuff! I really enjoyed SAGA until it fell out of favour in our gaming group and you're making me want to go look at figures for it again.... the crossbow dudes are my favourites. The spearmen look long suffering and resigned....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Crusaders Greg! The kid's stickers worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I missed these when they were posted Greg, good thing I went back a bit to check out past posts! They look really nice and can't wait to see them in person. Too bad we are doing different era's for Saga though, just started Vikings and Saxons.... You may be forcing me into another age with these...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's some top notch work again! Great to see your new project coming along nicely. I too can't recommend the LBMS transfers highly enough.

    ReplyDelete