Tuesday 15 March 2016

From StefanK - Royal Navy Captains from Brigade Games (10 points)

The painting challenge is on it's last days now and finally I managed to finished to miniatures to complete the first bunch of Napoleonic seamen:


When painting those gentlemen I always swayed between the Horatio Hornblower TV series and a recording of H.M.S. Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan. Although the play is set in a slightly later period these sturdy officers reminded me of sorely afflicted Captain Corcoran. Simultaneously especially the left chap has the strict but fair look of Robert Lindsay's wonderful recreation of Captain Pellew. The figures are from Brigade Games excellent range of Napoleonics and were sculpted by master craftsman Paul Hicks. They are wonderfully detailed and well proportioned although some of his newer pieces seem to be even better or let me say almost perfect. Anyway they are so full of character and detail that is was a pleasure to bring our the best of myself.


For painting I used my usual combination of Vallejo (mostly Model Colors) and Wargames Foundry (skin paintset). Luckily captains in the Royal Navy wore large epaulettes and some golden piping on their uniforms which gave me the chance to try NMM (non-metal-metal) again. I'm not sure whether it's turned out too yellowish but more or less I'm satisfied. 


For now those two chaps are a good intermediate target for my Royal Navy collection. There are still a couple of sailors on the lead pile and Empress has an interesting Maori Wars range that is partly suitable for Napoleonics as well but for now I can turn my eye to another theatre of war...

Lovely work Stefan. I've painted these same figures and heartily concur with your glowing review - they are truly wonderful miniatures and you've done them great credit here.  Like your theme entry, I really like your approach to their skin tones. Also, your use of NMM yellow for the braid, buttons and epauletes worked out marvelously. Well done!

25 comments:

  1. Terrific work, Stefan, a couple of stalwart naval officers fit to grace any quarterdeck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Evan.
      Only the quarterdeck missing now... ;-)

      Delete
  2. "He is an Englishman"

    Lovely work Stefan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sober men and true according to their duty...
      ;-)

      Thanks & cheers
      Stefan

      Delete
  3. Glorious work Stefan. Some of the best faces I've seen in a long time and that's just for starters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Cap'ns matey. I like the gold braid. Any chance of a group picture of the full drew before the challenge winds up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full crew?
      Yes... In case that Curt asks us participants for pictures of the painted stuff.

      Delete
  5. You have done the Royal Navy Justice. A much higher compliment I could never give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're compliment is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot, Clint.

      Delete
  6. Outstanding work Monty! You've nailed the blue and the NMM looks Most convincing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Nick. Glad to hear that you like the NMM.

      Delete
  7. That's fantastic! I want these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really fine work, Stefan! Ever since broadside and boarding parties, I've wanted a to do a skirmish game in 28mm...the Napoleonic and nautical stuff is not helping! ;)

    ReplyDelete