Monday 15 February 2016

Diversion from PeterD

IanW had me going back to my college days with his lovely hoplite unit.  He reminded me of this link which I thought I would share.  The Linothorax project was the brainchild of some Classicists who wanted to test the effectiveness of ancient linen armour.  They did this by recreated the armour, and shooting arrows at each other while wearing the armour.


Academic research at its best.  This also illustrates the correct way to treat one's grad students!

We saw the book from this in a bookstore a few years back and I still kick myself for not buying it at the time.  My wife is a quilter and I think I could convince her to make me one!

16 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. Not sure if that experiment would make it past the ethics committee these days. Maybe if you used undergrads instead of grads? Or academic staff who haven't brought in any grants recently? Or members of HR and marketing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of potential subjects. Perhaps you'd like to repeat the experiment with Ray?

      Delete
    2. We would all LIKE to repeat the experiment with Ray LOL

      Ian

      Delete
    3. I'm sure that Fran and Anne would volunteer to shoot the bows :)

      Delete
  2. Riiight. I sense a Darwin Award on the horizon on this one.

    Tell you what Pete, I'll give you a few of my summer linen shirts to glue together, you put them on, and then you can get a few of your students to shoot arrows at you. I know the U of R is always looking to trim down staff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I borrow your Corinthian Helmet?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! AND I'll throw in a trash can lid with a red, duct-tabe Lambda to complete the look. ;)

      Delete
  3. In roles as H & S advisor... My advice is.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter; I'd be happy to cut glue and stitch this in return for archery lessons for me! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I d want you to be able to shoot straight!,

      Delete
    2. Haha, now this I would love to see.

      Tell you what flatlandquilter, you create this loony getup for him and I'll gladly pay for your archery lessons - as long as I can watch the final results. For academic interest only, of course. :)

      Peter, I suggest you start looking for as large a garbage can lid as you can find.

      Delete
  5. "You had it coming! 'Then we'll fight in the shade'? You knew that would just provoke them! What were you thinking?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and look how many of those jokers came out of The Hot Gates...

      Delete