Thursday 28 January 2016

From KeithS - Trolls (63 points)

"Miserable, no good, robbing Trolls!" -- Thorin Oakenshield (at least the Rankin Bass version of the Hobbit; I really do live my life via movie quotes).


This is a quick diversion I worked yesterday on my final snow day.  They are 8 Trolls minis from Otherworld and one that is stylistically very similar but I have no idea where I got it (except for the base its hard to notice the difference at a casual glance).  I'd wanted some Trolls for wargaming that scaled well with 25 or 28mm but cheap ones were hard to come by, so I bit the bullet and went top of the line.  And they are masterful figures.  Lots of detail, plenty of personality, somewhat customizable (2 different heads to choose from and adjustable arms).  I was quite pleased with them, though I think they came out darker than I'd have liked.  I was using a green ink wash I'd not used before (PSA: kids, test your washes before going hog wild with them).  No matter, they're pretty in their own special, Trollish way.


Here's one happy camper.  They all have lots of warts or sores -- I did those in a very light olive so they stood out a bit.  I did the nails in ivory and let the green ink stain them murky colored.



This chap brought along a friend, or what was left of him (the head he's holding was an extra Viking head from that project).  Perhaps he uses it to play ball, or it might just be a snack.  I'm not sure.

From behind and one from the side.  They have a lot of personality, and personality go a long way.

Certainly wouldn't want to run into this guy in a dark alley, or across a battlefield.

The group shot (outside of the walls, of course). 

I'm pleased with the way they turned out, even if too dark for D&D standard Trolls (with their "mossy colored skin.")  They measure about 38mm from toe to hair, though they are bent over, so I figure they fall into the 40mm category.  Getting tem done really frees up some space -- they'd been sitting atop a small cabinet on my work desk for months. 

Next up, more miscellaneous old lead and perhaps a company of foes for the Trolls, aside from the Vikings, of course.

A very productive period for you Keith - these certainly look a fearsome bunch. Always good to clear up projects that have been hanging around. Well done, and yes i gone with them being 40mm - Big Nasty Trolls alright.

20 comments:

  1. There really are rather nice and cracking sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo! Top ten! Of course, it won't last long. Hi Tamsin...I'm on your heels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the guy cluching a head... I may be a sick person for saying it. You see to have snuck past me points wise well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some trolls you do not want to trust with your credit cards and pin number. They look very evil and NASTY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a Troll, fol-de-rol...and another and another...

    Very nice mate, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! They look really, really similar to Ral Partha's original early 80s troll figure (one of the first figures I bought).

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're a suitably nasty looking lot. Wouldn't want these boys sneaking up on me when I'm sitting round the campfire.

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking trolls. Otherworld does an excellent job of capturing that iconic AD&D look from the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice! They are true bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some serious nastiness going on here! As it happens; this is also exactly how I imagine the people called "trolls" in modern internet slang look like ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these. And I'm with Sander, this is the image I have when I come across 'trolls' on the interweb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are nasty looking trolls! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice painted Trolls. Excellent miniature choice. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonder if your odd troll isn't one of these?

    http://www.solegends.com/rsadd/add59/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  15. I confirmed that the odd ball Troll is an older Ral Partha sculpt. It's probably been sitting in a box since around 1985!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shame they didn't make it into the Nostalgia round, they are the spitting image of the trolls my PC fought in the 70's! ;)

    ReplyDelete