Thursday 19 March 2015

From SimonM - Space Commander Travis & Terran Federation Guards (25 Points)


This Stefan Travers model is by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" and is a ‘dead-ringer’ for the brutal and ruthless Space Commander Travis, as played by Stephen Greif in the BBC science fiction television series “Blake’s Seven”.

The figure was initially given a double undercoat of “Citadel” Abaddon Black before being rather roughly dry-brushed with “Vallejo” Heavy Charcoal. In addition I used this ‘off-black’ for both his cybernetic hand and bionic eye. I then gave the miniature a couple of washes of “Citadel” Shade Nuln Oil just to tone down the contrast a little.

As I wanted to try and give the figure at least some colour, apart from his flesh, I painted his hair with “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna but then washed this area with more “Citadel” Nuln Oil just to darken it a bit more than normal, and appear similar to the actor’s hair colour.

In addition to Travers I have also painted up four more Security Guards. A previous posting of mine explains how I painted the Security Guards, which can be found here: http://fantorical.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/unit-three-move-in.html

From Curt:

How very cool - I loved the few episodes of 'Blake Seven' that I watched as a kid. 

I really like how bold you painted his remaining eye as it obviously acts as a counterpoint to the bionic implant.  

10 comments:

  1. Excellent work Blax! Your B7 collection has certainly come along nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tamsin. All thanks to Dave Docherty and this Challenge :-)

      Delete
  2. My favourite sci-fi show of all time! I've just rewatched it is in it's entirety (don's ask how many times I've done that!). I've been manfully resisting the minis since they were first released. Seeing this kind of thing is NOT helping :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. These are great models. I've still a load more to paint too, so will be building my Terran Federation forces over the next few months.

      Delete
  3. Great work on these Blake 7 mini's, takes me back :-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Always nice to build these sci-fi minions' numbers up.

      Delete
  4. Great work on these! Obviously Blake and the seven won, I suppose they will need a new overlord to follow. I'll have to draft a few for Dr Dread, he always needs new minions to confound my kids' supers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David. I think they'll look rather good as minions for Dr Dread. Though I have a Batrep coming up where Travis will be facing an entirely different Dredd ;-)

      Delete
  5. Nice work, and what a great series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Chasseur. Classic sci-fi imho.

      Delete