Thursday 5 February 2015

From Curt - The Limerick Twins - ‘See Ya in the Funny Papers…’ (10 Points)


We played a big game of ‘Strange Aeons’ the other night and I quickly realized that, while I have quite a good collection of nasty beasties, I am woefully short of heroes or, well, at least humans unencumbered by eyestalks, creepy robes and tentacles. True, I have a few figures set aside for my continuing ‘Carro Family’ pulp project, but my collection needs a big injection of two-fisted heroes and savy heroines to do the heavy lifting for the Good Guys in our games. So I put on my winter boots, toque and parka and tromped off to the ‘Lead Shed’ to see what I could excavate as possible candidates. 

As it turns out I have more than a few castings from Copplestone, Pulp Miniatures and Musketeer that fit the bill nicely, and all of them are just crying out to be introduced to a paintbrush. 

As a result, I present to you the first pair of figures of what I hope will be an expanding series of guys and dolls from the interwar period: ‘The Limerick Twins’. 



The Twins are Sean and Sioban Ryan, a pair of talented ‘cleaners’ who have recently emigrated from the Emerald Isle to make their fortune in America. 



The Ryan twins are known (or perhaps notorious) for their preternatural connection with one another and as such are very difficult to surprise, always working in tandem, covering each others' back. We’ll have to see if they have the Luck of the Irish when they make their debut on the tabletop. 



These figures are from Copplestone Casting’s excellent ‘Gangsters’ range. I’ve decided to paint them in an over-saturated, quasi ‘Dick Tracy’ style – something I may try to continue with a few more figures just for the fun of it. 


We’ve been watching the last season of ‘Boardwalk Empire’ and one of lines that has stuck with me was 'Lucky' Luciano saying to Al Capone, ‘See ya in the funny papers.’ So as a tip of the hat to this I thought I’d add a few pages of discarded newsprint at their feel along with some spent .45 shell casings from their Thompsons. 

'Here's looking at you, kid...'

48 comments:

  1. I do like the cartoon style you have adopted for these two. It gives them a real comic book pulp feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit concerned with the colours when I started with their base layers but I warmed to them once they received their highlights. A few more in this theme should be fun to do and, as you say, are fitting for Pulp gaming.

      Delete
  2. They're absolutely wonderful, so they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr. Mills, very kind of you, so you are!

      Delete
  3. Great looking siblings Curt. I'm imaging they left the old country with the law hot on their heels after some escapade during the rising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking they bailed out after the Tan War with several factions close on their heels.

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done Curt! I think Dick Tracy himself would approve.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Curt!

    choosing green coats for Irish emigrants is great!
    the tommy guns are "the best in period" jewels, directly out from the movie " Public enemies" with Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gilles. Yes, those tommy guns are great - a bit overscaled but I still like the look of them.

      Delete
  6. Very nice work Curt! Lovely choice of colours on them. Hopefully they'll live up to their backstory during games then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, they'll probably get eaten by some nasty tentacly thing in the first turn...

      Delete
  7. "Go soak yer head!" or "So's yer old man!" are also acceptable.

    Really nice work Curt, those textiles and bases are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good bylines, I'll have to remember those before I roll the dice. Cheers Evan!

      Delete
  8. Very nice work, the comic book style is not one I would think to go with but you made it look very good here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a bit whacky but it seems to fit a niche aesthetic.

      Delete
  9. very nice indeed - I'm a big fan of the bright colours for fun skirmish games, so these fit very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought you'd probably like them Jamie.

      Delete
  10. That green really should not work but it sits really well, great job

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, green and cream usually work well together but I took a risk with the suit. Seems to have come off okay though.

      Delete
  11. Terrific looking figures, the green and cream colours are a great combo.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work, I painted that gangster and its an awesome sculpt.

    I especially like that green! Can I have the recipe, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem: The green is Foundry's Dragoon Green, B and C, with GW's Scorpion green mixed in with the Dragoon C for a final highlight.

      Delete
  13. In that period the only way for an Irish immigrant had to make a living was by putting a gun in his hands. In America the signs still read "No Negro's No, Dogs, No Irish" Well at least we weren't still dying building their fecking railroads :0)

    Those are some really fine looking figures Curt and you've done a masterful job of painting them up.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or through the ballot box.

      Delete
    2. All points well taken! Thanks Anne, I'm happy you like the Ryans.

      Delete
  14. Lead she'd? You have a lead shed?! Amazing - is this so the house is free of clutter?

    Very fine in a comic-book style - the green suit is....colourful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup and yes, pathetic I know. I'll have to post a pic of the shed once it warms up. Thanks Phil!

      Delete
    2. Oh no, quite amazing. I have a lead loft. Well, a lead/wool loft - each our our hobbies gets it's allocated space.

      Delete
  15. This is a fantastic painting work, Curt. Great and brilliant colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That green really turned out fantastic! These Irish twins don't seem to be of the gentle sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. No, the Ryans seem to be a very 'protective' over one another.

      Delete
  17. Great work dude - and those bases too, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah , mighty fine. Really nice green choice .. Very fitting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Perhaps I'll bring them out to New Serenity next time I'm in your parts.

      Delete
  19. Looks awesome. The base detail is brilliant. Very nice. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. The greens came off very nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the effect Miles - it was a bit of a shot in the dark but I'm happy how they turned out.

      Delete
  21. Fantastic! Yes, definitely keep the oversaturated comic-strip color palette going. Great results here. The discarded newspapers are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete