Sunday 11 January 2015

From SeanS - Six, count em, Six 28mm Goblin Stickas (30pts)

Well here are those oldschool goblin archers, Stickas in the old 3rd edition armies book.


These guys are the plastic ones.
 It occurred to me as I was writing this that these boys, albeit in 28mm scale, are only 20mm tall. I'm sure Curt, in his wisdom, will value them accordingly.

I had meant to submit these last Friday, and actually got them all the way short of varnish and flocking, but just couldn't muster up the energy after flying back home.

Readjusting to our schedules left me in a hobby torpor, so I only just got back to work on the rest of the unit yesterday. As I was planning a fun filled day of weight lifting and chiropractic adjustment, I realized that I had better get these six lads submitted today if I didn't want another goose egg in the points department. For me calling things done is always difficult, but always motivating as well.


The view one is most likely to see in a game.
In my conception of Warhammer 3rd edition (Oldhammer for me) Goblins are the Beau Brummels of Greenskin society. Back in the heady days of the late 80's and early 90's one was allowed a certain freedom with color that seems to have gone by the wayside today.

Since my, still unfinished, Goblin wolf riders were yellow and purple check I thought I'd go with red and black for these guys. For them I decided that they were allowed personal freedom in design, as long as they used the troop colors.

For the "Black" I used Delta Ceramcoat Charcoal. It's my new favorite almost black. When I got home I dug out my Americana Gloss varnish for the helmets and daggers and used the liquitex matt for the rest. The liquitex is finally drying matt-ish and doesn't work as well on armor as it used to. I must have finally mixed it up enough. The Bolt Gun Metal was being fussy and came out very black for this bunch. On the ones in the background it came out of the dropper bottle a lot more silver. I need to put those stainless steel BB's in the bottle to help mix and keep some of the paints from gushing out of the dropper. Or at least that's how that's supposed to work.


Where the magic happens.
 So, since this has been a thing the last week or so, here is my painting desk. This is what it looked like upon returning home, evidence of the late night mad dash to fill as many dropper bottles as  I could for my mobile painting station.

I would show you the rest of the loft, but I think the neat freaks of the group wuld fell compelled to fly out here and organize it for me. It's that bad right now. Just imagine an entire room that looks like the desk. I say I'm a borderline hoarder, but sometimes I wonder when intervention will happen.


Have paint, will travel.
And last, I just wanted to show you what I took with me on vacation to paint. There was one more container of the same size that had the Mother Crushers and Mounts & Riders in it. I checked it in with my luggage and it made it there and back again with no trouble, although the TSA did open my bag up on the way to CA.

TTFN!

From Curt:

These are very cool little guys Sean. Funny, I don't remember these chaps from 3rd Edition, but then again I don't remember much from those years so I shouldn't be surprised... 

I quite like your mobile paint kit! I have something similar for when we travel for which my wife lives in fear of us being searched and me spilling 40-odd paints and a bunch of toy soldiers on the floor at the airport. 

Great work!

29 comments:

  1. Nice greenskins Sean! Your travelling paint kit is mighty impressive too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, it's the second time I've done it. You just have to take a leap of faith they're not going to call you in for a cavity search when they find it in your checked in bags.

      Delete
  2. Those are great, characterful little models. I like the paint job and their individual patterns. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AHunt, I just get bored painting "uniform" uniforms.

      Delete
  3. Ah - the breakthrough 60 figure plastic boxed set that GW did with 10 figures from 6 different races - outstanding! I still have some of the skaven hanging around and 30 odd of the Dwarves in the Dwarf army I put together way back then. Thanks for pointing me down memory lane and excellent paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tea Urn. I still have the Dark Elf Crossbows and the Skaven unbuilt in my bits box. Unfortunately I've somehow lost all the Skaven heads.

      Delete
    2. Sean, as the figures came with 2 head options, do you want me to send you my spares if I still have enough? Oddly I know where they would be if i did have to find them......

      Delete
    3. You know what, I will take you up on that. I have 10 headless Skaven bodies and was lamenting what to do with them. I did always have a secret desire to paint some up. Yesss, yesss.

      Delete
    4. No worries, get your address through to me (through Curt if nothing else if you'd rather not write it here?) and I'll see if I have the heads this evening and send all the spares through to you.

      Delete
    5. My email is stsquiresaz (at) gmail (dot) com, it's also in my blogger profile.

      Delete
  4. That to me is how Goblins should look - top job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gobbos, loads of 'em. That's what we want to see.

    I gotta agree with Dave D. that is how goblins in the GW universe should look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fousands of 'em! Thanks Clint, I'm working on them.

      Delete
  6. Tea Urn got it, they were part of a set that had 10 of several races. I already did the Orcs, there are 4 Goblins left that I stuck in another unit. Dwarves, that are lying around half finished and then the aforementioned Dark Elves and Skaven. Also thanks for posting this. I hadn't noticed the draft time stamp when I wrote it and thought it would be another week before these bad boys were posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really nice, love the skin tone

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, although I'm now realizing it's pretty close to my Orcs. The idea is supposed to be that Goblins are lighter skinned. But the fact that I may have never actually finished any might have something to do with that.

      Delete
  8. W'hey! we're going back to the old school!!

    Great miniatures and I love how you've painted them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying your old skool entries. Loads of fun to see these and your classic paint style is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I'm trying a different approach to painting these days, but I think my overall style is still back in the 90's.

      Delete
  10. Love the colors, Sean! Very 80's style on them too( if they were 80's the bows would be red!) ;)
    Really nice job on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. In the old days I painted all weapon wood Spearstaff Brown, which looked awful yellow to me. I'm now on a kick where I'm painting everything with Nutmeg craft paint. Although I'm still using Yellow Ochre for arrow shafts and some weapons.

      Delete