Thursday 1 January 2015

From PhilH: Egyptian Officer and SCW Priest (10 Points)

Here we are a few weeks in and Juan has built up quite a lead in our side challenge. So, do I bring a points bomb in response? Alas, I've been kept busy with more 1:1 scale painting around the home, so I've just a small offering this week.

First up, a rather dapper Egyptian officer for colonial Sudan. When I saw this chap at Salute, I just had to pick him up. Then, he sat in the box for last year's painting challenge, and for the nine months since.



He's based on his own as I don't have any other Egyptian officers (yet...). He's likely to find his way onto a larger command stand eventually. He is from the Gringo 40s 28mm 'Maximillian Adventure' range. A really fine sculpt with his gold braiding and enjoyable to paint once i finally sat down to do so!



Next up, my Spanish Civil War project begins with this armed priest.

He was a freebie from Empress miniatures because my club put in a large joint order. In fact, the order was so big that eight of him were included! Happily, there is a 'priest' option in the Chain of Command SCW support lists, so he will come in useful with my Requetes.


I'm keen to trial new methods for this project. First I'm reducing my use of washes as I think they slow my painting down quite a bit. So only one wash used on him, though he's a very simple paint job. I've also used a new colour for the highlights on the base: from 'Buff' to Vallejo 'Iraqi Sand'. I think it looks much better, but I'd be very interested what you all think. Unfortunately, it won't match my terrain, but that's already in a motley collection of colours as I've changed my bases a few times for different projects. I also used a slightly different flesh recipe which I'm not sure is an improvement, so will tweak further.


Hopefully I'll have more to bring next week - I'm still off work for a few days and really should devote more time to the brushes.

From Curt:Wow Phil, that Egyptian officer is the bomb! I love your work on his gold braid -  just beautiful.  I'm also delighted to see you debuting your Spanish Civil War project here. I really look forward to seeing your progress on this period. I must say I'm a bit jealous about this figure. I've ordered several kilos of white metal from Empress with no treats for me - must be that I'm from the Colonies (sniff). :)  Finally, I think your arid basework looks quite good, but perhaps it could be a bit lighter, or maybe its the image, I dunno.  
Nonetheless, all this backslapping aside, you're still getting plastered in your paint duel with Juan and then there's our little wager regarding Civil War figures (I have something on the horizon for that)... 
(Mercilessly cracks the whip!!)

32 comments:

  1. Two terrific figures. I may have to get them both myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, they were both lovely to paint

      Delete
  2. Wonderful figures and paint work Phil :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Your latest is copying my scale of entry though!

      Delete
  3. That Egyptian officer is amazing looking. Really great work. Since you asked, I think the buff as the final dry brush layer probably works better, but that's really all just to taste. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your view, these things are a matter of taste. My basing texture has come a surprising way since I did that officer 18 months ago

      Delete
  4. Now THAT'S a uniform! I'm with Clint, they are both gorgeous minis and I'm seriously tempted by them, especially the officer. I like the new style you're trying and the base really works for me.

    @Curt. We colonials always get the rough end of the pineapple mate. It's just jealousy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'rough end of the pineapple'

      kills me.

      Delete
    2. Hah, such a way with words. Thanks for your kind words Millsy.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful painting work, as is usual from you, but I expect you have a lot of rooms to paint in your home...
    The Egyptian officer is fantastic, and I like a lot the priest (or "cura"). The terrain is really nice, arid and very "Spanish".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan - I'm delighted that I'm evoking your beautiful country in the base. I've just ordered some new types of tufts for this project too.

      Sadly I do have more rooms 'on the go' - the lounge has had some touching up this week. It really hits the hobby time though.

      Delete
  6. Great work as ever Phil...well hopefully to real world brushwork is out the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not - the wife cracks the whip too (and she's closer than Curt...)

      Delete
  7. Great painting! The egyptian officer is absolutely briĺliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The officer is a real peacock, splendidly executed, while the priest is a very sinister-looking chap (as befits his allegiance to the forces of reaction and oppression!).

    Excellent work, Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan. Don't worry, forces of freedom and equality coming too!

      Delete
  9. The officer is quite outstanding, and it always does me good to see a priest with a rifle. Both very fine minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I really enjoyed painting them. Onwards!

      Delete
  10. That Egyptian officer is top draw, very impressed

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are really good! The priest is great, but I love the Egyptian officer! The braid is exquisite, but he wins because he has that sweet looking fez! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *ahem* tarboosh. It's a tarboosh. Tar-boosh

      Available in Harrods and all.

      ;-)

      Delete
  12. Excellent and lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy! More to come on both projects!

      Delete